7.4.12

Not so smooth sailing

If this week had a motto it would be "anything that can go wrong will." I've been able to rope a few friends to go out on shorter rides with me nearly every day, but this week has been one set of downfalls after another.  Day one started by me going to get on my bike and finding the back tire flat, and the bike shop informing me it would be at least 2 weeks for them to order a new one (I needed a new tube and tire, bleh) until which I'll be mooching off of friends. Day two seemed to be going better, but we got a little too late of a start, and got a little too ambitious in going past our typical turn around point.  We were still a few miles out and the sun had completely set leaving us in the dark where we learned just how many bats lived in the trees around the bike trails, and how close to your head they like to fly.  By day three I probably should have learned my lesson about tempting fate and should have been prepared even though the forecast had knocked down the chance of rain from 80% in the morning to a mere 30%, but nonetheless we were basically at our turn around point without jackets when the downpour started.  It wasn't until day four that we finally made our typical loop completely without incident.

Luckily for me my friends were not turned off to biking based off of 3 days of bad luck, and I learned some valuable lessons about keeping track of time, distances and weather forecasts while I was close enough to home and not stranded hours away.

No comments:

Post a Comment