I started today straight up from the RV park and up a 7% grade into one hell of a headwind. The headwind turned into a crosswind on the descent, making the descent more scary than gratifying. 20 miles out of town the tire that Colin had patched for me the night before gave out and I was stuck more or less by myself on a long, windy stretch of road in the middle of nowhere. I called the vans and luckily for me (unluckily for them) Alice and Manish both had bike issues that needed a shop and the three of us were able to take a van to the nearest bike shop. Unfortunately for us that shop was several hundred miles away, back in Reno.
The round trip drive took us all day, but luckily we were able to all take care of our problems. I got a new tire and a spare, new tubes, and my derailer adjusted so that I had use once again of my larger 2 rings. On the drive back I slept most of the way and we stopped at a castle otside of Austin that was considered a Nevada historic marker.
By the time we rolled up in to Eureka the sun had gone down and everyone had already set up camp. I threw together a dinner of bagels, and set up my sleeping mat in the public park that we had claimed as ours. Around midnight we were woken up by what sounded like tornado sirens, but louder. They lasted for about 10 minutes, then stopped. Like any sane group of people would we just went back to sleep and didn't think about it til the next morning when we found out it was an alarm for wildfires in the area. Whoops.
No comments:
Post a Comment