3.7.12

back to back centuries

Today we kicked off from Vernal headed east on 40 towards my favorite town in the world.  25 miles in we passed over the Utah/Colorado state line and 5 miles later were in Dinosaur, Colorado.  I had definitely been there before and I took a picture with some of the dinosaurs outside a playground the I have pictures with from 2006. After passing through the town we got on to route 64, which was much nicer than 40, with far less traffic and an actual shoulder.

The morning was not bad and we stopped for lunch at a reservoir where we we stopped to swim for a while then got back on the road.  The afternoon was pretty much consistently rolling hills, which I find worse than big climbs and descents, since you can never really enjoy the down hills before you're hit with another climb.

The hills seemed to go on forever, until finally around 4 we hit the 100 mile mark which Cacie and I celebrated with a dance party on the side of the road.  It was a first for both of us; neither of us had ever done back to back centuries. The momentum of our dance party was hardly enough to push us through the last 8 miles, which proved harder than the whole 100 before them. The last few miles seemed to go on forever.  Our asses hurt, our legs hurt, and every turn just revealed another stretch without a campsite.

One mile out Cacie blew through a tire and I rolled up to the campsite alone. Tuna salad for dinner and another night sleeping out under the stars in Meeker, CO, and I'm happy to have a day under 100 miles finally tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment