26.7.12

homecoming

There was no "Welcome to Illinois" sign.  I've seen them a hundred times before. Driving to and from Wisconsin every weekend in the winter, coming home from road trips, from day trips to Indiana.  I've seen the sign more times than I can count, but thats not the point.  I've never really missed Illinois before. I've never really wanted to be welcomed back, until today that is. And today, of all days I didn't see it.

No matter.  I was greeted by the Missisipi, which for all its trash and toxic waste was actually really pretty to ride along.  I was greeted by rolling hills along the western shore of the river that I didn't know existed.  I was greeted by familiar town names, places I remembered hearing about through various soccer tournaments, state competitions in High School, or road trips I'd taken with friends. And most exciting for me, I was greeted by my family, when my dad and aunt showed up around lunch to ride with me in to Peru.

As much as I had been looking forward to this day for weeks, Illinois sure knew how to welcome me back.  Between the heat index pushing 110, the 20 mile an hour crosswind turned headwind and 4 consecutive flat tires after going the entire state of Iowa without a single flat, there were about a hundred points during today that I probably would have called it quits if I hadn't gotten to ride with my dad.

My dad is the person who got me interested in cycling, and who put up with me for hour after hour on the roads and up hills at my mind numbingly slow pace.  I've done a few rides with him in the past, but it was nice to meet up with him at this point because, while he still kicks my ass up hill, I think I can finally keep a flats pace that doesn't drive him nuts. Better than the ride, however was being able to get dinner and drinks (and reluctantly more tubes) with my family, and spend an evening catching up on the events of the past month.  Even though I'll be home tomorrow, it was a nice sneak peak, and really made my homecoming enjoyable. 

I'm still bitter about that sign though.

No comments:

Post a Comment