2.7.12

Our first century

I woke up this morning freezing even though I was sleeping in the van and not in a tent. The first 20 miles of the ride today were uncomfortably cold and my legs were numb almost to lunch. There was a lot of climbing in the morning then a nice downhill through a wild cat preservation area, where we sadly didn't see any cats. The rest of the day was a lot of rolling hills, but went by fairly quickly. I got my 9th flat tire at mile 96 then at nearly exactly 100 miles Cacie got her first. The very last 10 miles in to town were rough. We kept waiting for a downhill that never seemed to come. Finally after 112 miles we rolled in to Vernal, which was way bigger than I expected. We went and got FroYo, and tried to find a bike shop to have some of our mech issues looked at. There was only one bike shop in town and it was already closed for the day, but undeterred a few members of our group knocked on the door of the house next door that th owner appeared to live at, and he came out, opened the shop to us, then et us camp out in the field behind the shop. For dinner a few of us went to Golden Corral and ate what was probably close to 6,000 calories worth of cheap food, hung out at the McDonalds in town to try and steal som WiFi, then went back and slept out in the yad behind the shop. I realized at some point in our drive around town that I had definitely been here before on a family road trip 6 years ago, and I had been in quite a few of the attractions in town including the natural history museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment